Thursday, January 1, 2009

Its Only Days...

Its only Days..
Years have gone by and equal number of New Years have gone by some without my knowledge but a greater part with my knowledge.Never till this day I have been able to figure the magnificant way in which the preceeding and succeeding years have been demarcated. The roots to this rather uncanny wisdom has been traced to Romans, not too sure but they hogged all the limelight with their theories of Lunar calender , the prime basis for calculation of these calenders were the time interval that elapsed between two new moons.
But the Egyptians soon put forth their theory of Solar calender with each year having twelve months and a leap year once in every four years. Now it is this calender we religiously follow and mark 31st December as New Year's eve . Ever since my childhood I have been fascinated by weeks & months , their names , What if we get a privilege to skip a day, why Saturday & Sunday has to be holidays. Why I was particularily fond of Friday and was a little hostile towards Monday. As days have gone by, I have kind of submitted myself to this mystery and allowed to be carried forward by the same.

No comments: